Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Some Call It Nesting...

...I call it "Enough Is Enough!"

I have been reading a book called Living Simply by Joanne Heim. The title speaks for itself. I am trying more and more to simplify my life in all ways. From my busy schedule to our over-crowded home, I am trying to de-clutter my life.
.
Each time I visit Haiti, I realize more and more that we just do not need all this "stuff" in our lives to be content. I see all the Haitians living with such little yet being able to lead fulfilling lives. Of course, they have little choice; however, I have noticed that they can get by with what they have and live full lives. To me, this means my family most certainly could get by with A LOT LESS and be happy.

When Mike and I first married and started a family, we had nothing. We didn't own a big television, a computer or closets full of nice clothes. We had what we needed to get by and lived happily with one another. Ultimately, that is all we needed: one another! We were content and satisfied with our lives and possessions and felt very blessed with all we did have. What happened...?

So this afternoon, the girls and I were in their rooms "nesting..." I had a garbage bag, a box labeled "to keep" and a box labeled "donate." It has taken lots of time to sort through everything, but the girls are understanding what they need and what they want. I am happy to say the "donate" box is overflowing and the garbage bag is full!

I had to step out and take a break for a bit. I thought posting might help me chill out and regroup. I cannot believe how my "stuff" our children have. It is way too much stuff!!!
.
Although we have a long way to go before we can live what I think is simple life, we are off to a start. I just wish it wasn't so stressful getting there....

7 comments:

Sarah and Tim said...

I am so happy you are doing this. Tim and I did this when we first started our first adoption 4 years ago. We sold everything that wasn't necessary. We couldn't be happier with our mostly empty home. We used all the money made, to help pay for our adoptions. Maybe you could do this, and raise money for the O???? I miss you and really hope to see you soon!

Shannon H. said...

Yehaww! I love to purge and fully support you in your simple endeavors!

It is amazing how little we really need compared to what we manage to fill our lives with isn't it?

Keep at it!

PS - if you come across any good toys or clothes to use as 'incentive' prizes for the students at TACA let me know! : )

Salzwedel Family said...

We are in process of the same. I'm completely sick of "stuff".
We plan to have a sale & put the money towards our adoption.

Laura Lu said...

Good for you! I get so overwhelmed with all of the "junk" we have.

Lena Just Lena said...

As a recovering pack rat, all I can say is AMEN Sista!!!

LOL, I am in the same mind set, I had a serious bout of 'recovery' and seem to have relapsed a bit. Where DOES all this stuff come from, anyway?!? UGH.

I'm planning to hold a garage sale some time in the next few months-after the weather breaks (I'm in Phoenix)

Thanks for the motivation!

It's Gonna Be Me said...

Thanks for all your encouragement, everyone! The kids and I decided today that we are going to have a garage sale with all of our "stuff." Whatever we earn from the sale, we are donated to Three Angels. (Two great minds think alike, Sarah!)

I have never held a garage sale before, so I have no idea how much money we will make? Whatever the amount, it'll be put to a GREAT cause! Plus, we will be living much more "simply!"

CG said...

I hope your garage sale goes well. What a great experience for your children to get rid of what they don't need in order to help those with a real need!