Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Day Forty-Six...


I haven’t posted much lately. There really isn’t anything too new or too exciting happening around our house. It has been quiet. I have decided in the past few days, I don’t like quiet. Sure, once and a while it’s nice to have a day to myself to unwind, relax and do nothing. Overall, however, I like to be busy, I enjoy chaos, and prefer to be running like crazy. I get bored and lazy when there isn’t anything pressing to do.

Having all this quiet makes time for “thinking.” And, thinking always leads to … trouble! Whether I decide to take on a new project around the house, sign up to volunteer for something monumental or just sit and think ~ it always causes trouble! Or, as Mike would say, my thinking causes a mess around the house and usually costs him money. ;-o

Well, this past week and a half, I haven’t spent money and the house is fairly clean ~ aside from the mounds of laundry I need to get through; however, this past week of “thinking” has caused a little bit of trouble for my heart. To sum it all up, since we have been home from our trip, I have Haiti on my mind and the boys have grasped a HUGE part my heart! I just miss them so!

For many reasons I really struggle with missing Jonathan and Daniel. First, I know I chose too sign up for this whole adoption journey. I knew from the beginning, this road would be very, very long. An adoption from Haiti is much longer than most international adoptions. Having known all of this prior and knowing just how long this timeline would actually be ~ who am I to complain about missing the boys? I knew very well we would be waiting a very long time for them to come home. It is sort of like being married to Mike. I signed up for being married to a surgeon. I knew his work hours would be long and he would be at the hospital more than at home with his family. I knew his devotion to his patients would take precious time away from our family. I knew all of this before marrying Mike and before deciding to have a family with him. This gives me no room to complain when he is not around. However, with either of these cases, my heart does not change. I love them dearly and I miss them when they are not near...

I am truly amazed at how Haiti has become such a HUGE part of my heart. The love, compassion and concern I have for the people of Haiti have become such an impressing part of my life. I long to visit the country, I want to be able to provide for its people and I am always thinking of ways I can help ~ this is something I truly love to do. So, most recently, I am missing being in Haiti carrying out God’s will. Obviously being in Haiti is not something I can realistically do often. I have a life here to live and most certainly love to be here raising my family and enjoying our life together! However, I miss Haiti so many days, my heart is torn. I so wish I could be there and also want to be here…

Many people question why we are choosing to adopt or why we have chosen to adopt Jonathan and Daniel specifically. Many wonder just how I could be so attached to two children I barely know or want to raise two boys who have issues and needs as they do. There are concerns presented to us about the boys’, questions are asked and people wonder why in the world we are doing this. If I explained my “God” story, I get rolled eyes and lack of understanding. I try to explain this is something in my heart and something I feel lead to do right now in my life. People just do not understand ~ and that is okay! This is not their journey to understand, get or like ~ it is ours! Our journey is the one we have chosen to take and the one that has been deeply embedded into our hearts!

So, all this “thinking” has fogged my mind in the recent weeks. I cannot seem to kick the thoughts and ideas of Haiti, our boys and our mission work. I just miss it all so much and have a hard time focusing on other things, as we are just not busy right now. Soon, baseball season will begin, Kate will take a try at tee-ball this spring and our pool will be open for lots of swimming. I need to get my mind on other things to distract me.

Until then, I will count down the days until I get to go to Haiti again. Today is day #46…..

15 comments:

Shannon H. said...

Excellent post Colleen!

By the way... I can think of LOTS of ways for you to help fill that quiet time (wink wink).

I'm working on a draft list right now. :)

livingpurereligion said...

You are counting the days too, I see!

I can totally relate to everything you said. Really, I can. Really!

I think we are a lot alike. Thinking gets me in trouble too! I am constantly thinking up ways to help Haiti, projects for the school, ideas for the orphanage... the list goes on and on. So many are just unrealistic and it's obvious that God is not calling me to act on them at this time, but I'm a dreamer. I can't help it.

I completely understand your feelings of missing your boys. I'm with you... I knew exactly what I was getting myself into when I signed up for this, but that doesn't make it any easier. I'm taken aback by how God has born this incredible, unwavering love for my two babies that live so far away and I barely even know. I think He does that because He knows how long and hard this process is. He knows that we NEED that intense love and longing in our hearts for them or we would have given up long ago.

I also can relate to the feelings of living stranded between two worlds. Such a huge part of my heart is in Haiti, and yet an equally large part of it is here with my family. When I'm not in Haiti, I miss my kids. When I am in Haiti, I miss my other kids:) I dream of the day when I will not live straddled between these two worlds.

There are days when my husband and I consider throwing caution to the wind, getting on the next plane, and moving our entire family to Haiti. Hmmm... Let's just see what God is going to do with that!

It's Gonna Be Me said...

Bring it on, Shannon! I am ready!!!

Cara, I cannot wait to meet you. We are going to have a GREAT time together in Haiti in April!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. Your children are all so adorable.

Thanks for stopping at my blog!

Sarah and Tim said...

So sad that i will not be able to meet you on this trip as I am going in May not April!!! You have quite a give with words, maybe you could start some sort of book, telling the time line of your adoption.

It's Gonna Be Me said...

Thank you, Sarah! Certainly writing a book would fill my quiet time... I will have to give that idea some thought.

There will be many trips to the O in our furtures, so maybe we will meet up sometime soon. I have also decided we will have to have a TA's Midwest reunion after all our kiddos are home. There are so many little ones with forever families within driving distance of one another. It would be great to keep them all in touch as they grow up. First reunion can be at our house! :) So, we will most definitely meet.

Sarah and Tim said...

Colleen,
Sounds Great!
Does your husband know about this?
:)

It's Gonna Be Me said...

Ummmm......

Well, he will once he reads this post, Sarah... Ha! What is a few, or twenty-ish, families over at our house for some fun and laughs? We have plenty of room and Mike loves to bbq. :)

Pretty good reasoning, hunh?!

Kathy Cassel said...

Hi. I just came over to your blog from Kathy's. I just looked back a couple of posts and can't believe how fast your got your papers done at the consulate. It took us SIX WEEKS. I had to mail them to Miami. When we finally called, they were "just getting ready to do them." It took forever to get our dossier ready. Now it's been sitting in ibesr over six months because we have two birth children.

It is a long, loooooong process but our twins feel like part of our family and I left part of my heart in Haiti with them.

angela said...

did someone say reunion?! i'm inviting myself right now!
colleen, i always appreciate when a person is honest about their struggles. it is hard to be away from your children. and that is fair. if you weren't struggling with that, i'd be concerned.
thank you for sharing!

It's Gonna Be Me said...

Thanks, Angela!

Boy, this is going turn out to be one great PART-T! Can't wait! ;)

Hope and Rob said...

Hey Colleen... I'm with you , the missing and waiting hurts like crazy. Uggghhhh I also know what you mean when it seems noone gets your adoption God story. We get that a lot right now with people not understanding why we're still hanging in there for Caleb and Isabel when there are hundreds of other kids who could use a good home! But we believe, when you promise a child something you stick to it and you fight for them! Kids have enough instability in their lives, they don't need us to add to it. AND when God speaks... we listen, and let the opinions drown out in the background. Hang in there! We're praying!

Kathy Eden said...

Ditto to all of the above! Most people think Randy & I have lost our minds to adopt 3 children at one time, not alone 1 of them being special needs. I don't expect them to get it but it sure would be nice if they did! :o)

Salzwedel Family said...

Thanks for sharing your heart on this post. I have so many of the same feelings and we have not even been given a referral yet! My heart aches for Haiti and I know we have a child there...it is where God has led us.

People just don't understand why we would do this when we can have more of "our own" children & unfortunately telling them that God is leading us there just doesn't seem to be a good enough answer. Well, it's good enough for us & so we move forward one step at a time.

Bless you as you long for your children. I pray God gives you peace during the wait...

Stephanie said...

I appreciated your thoughts so much. We, too, are adopting from Haiti (although we are still in the beginning stages.) May the Lord bring your approval letter to you even today! GOD bless, Stephanie