Tuesday, September 18, 2007

220... 221, Whatever It Takes!

Remember the 1983 movie Mr. Mom with Michael Keaton? Do you recall the scene when he enters the living room in construction gear and a chainsaw ready to renovate the house. He approaches his wife's boss who asks about the electrical part of the job, "Are you gonna make it all 220?" Mr. Mom, aka Jack, covers up for his less-than-knowledgeable self by telling his wife's boss he will wire the house with "220... 221, whatever it takes!" He was clueless about the electrician work...

That's how I felt today when filling out our first official government form for Jonathan's adoption. CLUELESS! This form is called The Advance Process of Orphan Petition ~ otherwise known as I600a. And more importantly, this form is not to be confused with the I600 form we will fill out at a later date.

So, today as I was working on the paperwork at the computer, my father walked by and asked what I was doing. I couldn't help but relieve some of the stress from the legal mumbo-jumbo and answer him with, "I600a. I600. Whatever it takes!"

Anyway, the form is now complete and ready to submit to the Department of Homeland Security ~ with very special thanks to the parent liaison of Three Angels. I just hope she is not getting too annoyed with my continuous emails of question after question...

I do feel better having completed the form, however. After reading the 4 pages of directions over and over and over again, I began to understand the United States' side of things with international adoption. That in itself, is a big accomplishment. Now I just need to get it all done!

No comments: