Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Institution Mixte Chretienne de Petion-Ville ~ Three Angels’ Christian Academy

The need for quality schools in Haiti is endless as over half of the adult population is illiterate. It is an amazing blessing to see Three Angels strive to decrease this statistic in Haiti. Along with the orphanage and medical clinic is the Three Angels’ Christian Academy; a one-room school for over 355 Haitian children grades preschool through 6th grade. The school provides uniforms, textbooks and instruction for all the students. In addition, the children also receive a meal of bread and peanut butter, known as “mamba,” and fresh water each day they attend. For many of these Haitian children it is their only meal of the day.


Watching the school children enter the gates of Three Angels last week was such a delight. The smiles on their faces and laughter in their voices brought such joy to me each day. So many of them came up to many of us to greet us with a sweet smile, loving “Bonjour,” a giant hug and soft kiss on the cheek. They shared their love and they didn’t even know us! However, they knew because of missionary groups like ours they are able to go to school and even see a doctor if need be. They are so thankful for our help and outwardly display their gratitude. These children brought such happiness to me while in Haiti last week. It is because of these children, I long to return to Haiti time and time again. They are big reason why I truly understand the importance of helping Three Angels and supporting the organization any way I can!



Currently, Three Angels is looking for sponsorships for each student attending IMCP/TACA. As of today, there are only 20+ children with tuition covered by scholarships through sponsorship. There is an endless budget for the needs of the children, faculty and school. Without the help of donations, the school could not and would not exist. A monthly support of $27 is all that is needed to directly benefit the life of a student. These continual donations give the children the opportunity for not only a quality education, but also a meal and clean drinking water each day. Most of the children currently attending TACA would not have the opportunity to attend a school without the Academy and sponsorship help. It is quite disheartening, but so very true!


Three Angels’ Christian Academy would not exist without the help of monthly sponsors. The fact that there are 325+ children in need of help to pay their monthly tuition is troubling to me. These children need our help!!! Since returning home, I have decided to make it a personal goal of mine to find families, schools and organizations to sponsor many of the students at Three Angel’s Christian Academy. So, if any of you, my faithful blog readers, have any ideas how to pursue the help needed, please let me know! And, if YOU have found it in your heart to personally sponsor a student at the Academy for less than $1 a day, you can visit www.threeangelshaiti.org/sponsorship.htm to set up an account to begin making your monthly contribution.


This is such a worthy cause and these children need our help! I pray that my work will be successful and Three Angels Christian Academy will continue to be a success for all of the Haitian children and families!

5 comments:

CG said...

Thank you for your commitment to help with this and for posting the details of the needs here. I had no idea there were so many children in need of sponsorship or that the cost was just $27 per month per student! I will share these needs with others as well.

Kathy Eden said...

Thanks Colleen for sharing this! It's been on my heart but I've been at a loss of words in describing the need but you did an awesome job! Praying for more sponsors!

Sarah and Tim said...

I too, didn't know that there were so many without sponsorship. What if we all sent an email to everyone in our address book, where would that take us? Can I copy your post and use it as my email?

It's Gonna Be Me said...

Great idea, Sarah! I will do the same! Feel free to copy my post, as well! :)

Shannon is sending me some flyers, hopefully I can come up with a creative way to use them. I was thinking about seeing if the PTO's, schools and classrooms would be interested in sponsoring a student. It might be fun for classrooms to have a Hatian penpal...

I am also going to see if our church would be willing to help in some way.

Thanks for your idea!

Shannon H. said...

Thank you. A very big, teary-eyed thank you Colleen!