Saturday, November 17, 2007

Haiti Part 2...

So much was going through our minds as we entered Three Angels. We were anxious to meet our little boy, curious as we stepped inside an orphanage for the first time, and nervous about everything else unknown.

It was dark by the time we arrived and the lights were off in the orphanage as the days begin and end early for the children. We were greeted by many of the older children when we stepped into the gates. They were so excited to meet the team and asked everyone whose “mama and papa” we were. Mike and I quickly became “Papa Ton-Ton and Mama Ton-Ton” as we learned Jonathan’s nickname was Ton-Ton. All the children were so cute ~ their little voices melted my heart!

Soon, Angela asked if we were ready to meet our son. At that moment, there was nothing I wanted more. We had traveled for an entire day from so far away; I was ready to meet our little guy! As we entered the orphanage, there was the sweet site of many little ones fast asleep in their beds. I was amazed that so many slept through the commotion we caused just outside the door. We followed Angela up the stairs to the nursery to learn Jonathan was also asleep for the night. Although I was a bit disappointed, I was just as excited to “just” see him.

As Angela showed us to the back corner of the nursery, we saw our little boy sleeping so sweetly in his crib. What a site it was for me ~ MY SON ~ so beautiful, so peaceful and so real!!! All I can say about that moment is it was LOVE AT FIRST SITE! Mike and I watched him for a few moments when his eyes opened. He immediately stood up and reached to be picked up. Angela so lovingly hugged Jonathan as he woke and then handed him to me. My sweet baby boy was in my arms and it felt so right! Jonathan was our son and I knew it in my heart from that moment!!!

...To be continued...

5 comments:

livingpurereligion said...

Oh my goodness, Colleen, that is the most beautiful thing I have ever heard! I look pretty silly here at my computer desk openly weeping! My girls wonder what in the world is wrong with their crazy mama! I am so glad that the moment you met your son was so special. You look so happy and he looks so natural in your arms! It's such a miracle... this whole adoption thing! Praise God that He has called us both here and praise God our paths crossed through 3 Angels! Love, Cara B

Anonymous said...

A match made in heaven!!

He is so adorable Colleen. I know I cant stop saying that but he is so sweet!!

Talk to you soon,
Karla

angela said...

it was an awesome moment!!

kaitlyn said...

Hi Colleen! It brings me so much joy to hear about your first time meeting Jonathan and to see him in your arms. God is so amazing! Just 3 months ago I sat in that nursery rocking Jonathan and praying that God would lay him on the hearts of a family to adopt. It's so wonderful to know he is yours and Mike's son! I hope I will get to meet you when I am in Rochelle in December.
~Kaitlyn

CG said...

What a sweet, wonderful, beautiful moment to cherish forever... I am so glad he woke up for you! Hooray! I can't imagine how overwhelming, yet perfectly right it must have felt to finally hold him... GO GOD! I am so happy for you!!!