Sunday, September 30, 2007

Five Weeks to Go!


FIVE weeks and counting, and Mike and I leave for Haiti. First we will head to Miami for a day. We have never been there, so I am hoping to grab dinner at a nice Miami restaurant. We also want to be sure to get there in plenty of time before meeting the medical team. We have to catch the plane to Port au Prince and I do not want to miss it! Never can trust O’Hare Airport for on-time departures, and I don’t want to be arriving in Haiti on our own…

We have been collecting tons of medical supplies for the trip. Mike is getting lots of surgical needs from work. I am so pleasantly surprised with all the donations people are offering. It is a wonderful blessing and so refreshing to be a part of it all.

I have also been doing some shopping for the trip. Not for us ~ we’ll wear scrubs most of the week (my favorite days-in-residency outfit!) I have been shopping for the children at the orphanage and JONATHAN! I decided to buy our little boy some new clothes. We recently learned Jonathan will be allowed to stay with us a majority of the trip. So, I thought it would be fun to have some new outfits for the little guy while we are with him. I also have been getting some toys for him. Yes, I hope to be able to bribe him to like us when we first meet with gifts. Maybe he’ll think of us as “those people who give me stuff” and enjoy being together. It’s worth a try anyway!

I am really beginning to get excited about this adventure! I have been reading so much about Haiti and mission trips. I have absolutely no idea what to expect and I am keeping an open mind about it all. I am trying very hard not to create any expectations and take it all for what it is. I know the entire medical part of the trip will be foreign to me, so it’s all going to be a new experience ~~~ a new world, new job, and new son. It is so exciting!

4 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Your going to love it! But i warn you of the huge rush of humblism (if that is a word) that will follow after your trip!

Ohh...scrubs in Haiti! The last Mecial Mission, we all rolled up our scrub pants! It was hilarious!

You are going to love Jonathan! And he is going to love you! He is such a sweetie pie!

Anonymous said...

Wooo hooooo.......this is so exciting Colleen. I cannot wait until you get home to hear what you thought!!

Kait was very, very thankful for all the donations Colleen. She kept saying what a blessing it was.

Guess what...now Kylee is sick. 101.8 fever.....another long week ahead.. ha ha

Hugs
Karla

Karen Combes said...

Colleen:

I am so excited for you to go to Haiti and especially meet your son. Kait and I will be going in 12 days and we will give him lots of hugs from you! Kait is so excited to see him again! She was so appreciative of the donations.

We'll take lots of photos of Jonathan and send them your way.

Love,
Karen

It's Gonna Be Me said...

It is absolutely wonderful knowing so many people supporting our love for Haiti and desire to bring Jonathan into our family. Thank you all for your well wishes and kind words!

Lizzie, I am actually anxious to experience all Haiti has to offer. Being humbled is something I find will be a blessing. We are all so fortunate here in the U.S.A. I am so thankful to be able to share my blessings with the children and people of Three Angels!

Karen, I pray you have a safe journey. Enjoy the week with Kaitlyn (and Jonathan :) I look forward to hearing about your experiences and seeing your pictures!

Karla, you are such a HUGE part of why Haiti is becoming so special to me! Seeing the love you share with your girls is an inspiration. It will be such a blessing to be able to share that love with Jonathan! Thank you so much leading me to 3A's and showing me where my heart belongs!

I look forward to sharing our trip's stories with all of you!

Love,
Colleen