Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Haiti Is In My Heart...


…Mike and I are heading to Haiti in November. I have booked the flights and made a deposit for the trip. For those of you I haven’t been in close contact with lately, I have an itch, a yearning, a drive, a calling, a wish, a want, and an ache in my heart…. Something happened last February and I am now “stuck on” Haiti.

It happened after a heart-to-heart conversation with Mike last winter. We were both talking and agreeing that Tim would have made the best big brother to a little boy. We notice how patient he is with other little boys and how caring he is with them. He is so good at playing at their level and teaching them things little boys “should” know. Tim loves being the “cool kid” around them and does whatever he needs to make the little ones happy. The next evening we were out for a family dinner. Tim was at one point (which is quite often lately) irritated with teasing of his two sisters. He looked at me from across the table and said, “I wish I had a little brother!” I looked right into his beautiful blue eyes without any hesitation and said, “We could give you a little brother!”

Right then, Mike knew he was in for it. He saw the spark light up in my eyes and the glow on my face. That look only happens when I come to a realization of something big. It was at that point I would make it my goal to look into getting Tim a little brother!!!

So, to make a long story short --- I have done tons and tons of reading, researching, soul-searching and discovering since February. I have been on the Internet, reading many books and on the phone talking to lots of people about adoption. I wouldn’t say I am to a decision yet, but I am praying about it!

I do feel God is telling me something here. Whether or not he thinks we should adopt a little boy, I am not so sure yet? This decision, I have given to God!!! I am sure; however, after all the reading I have done, Haiti is in my heart. Many things have happened recently and I am deeply drawn to that country – whether it is the missionary work or adoption idea…. I am just not sure what it is at this time???? So, Mike has agreed to help me figure this out and we are headed to Port au Prince, Haiti for a medical mission. Mike will use the gifts God has blessed him with to help those who need medical care through the orphanage I am in contact with currently. I am not sure just yet how I will help at the clinic that week, but I am hoping to get some deeply-sought-after-answers I so desperately have been praying for since February. I don’t know what the Lord truly has in store for me down there, but I do know Haiti is where my heart is, and my faith draws me there right now!

If you are wondering where we are headed, check out this great video of Three Angels Orphanage with the link below. These are the children and families we will be helping. And, if you would, please pray that God will be with us on this trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled for you, as you know, with your decision to go and visit Haiti! You will fall in love with the kids and the people of Haiti.

Can't wait to hear about your trip!! In the meantime, if you need a fix of Haitian children, just give me a call. ha

Love
Karla